Are Magic Mushrooms Similar to Cannabis?
Cannabis is a widely known chemical plant that enjoys a dedicated following for its therapeutic and psychoactive properties. Now, what makes psilocybin, or as the world calls it, ‘magic mushrooms’ compared to marijuana, is a set of similarities between them. Both instill an appreciation for music and art and have been associated with countercultures. Moreover, both still have a stigmatized image in the market and are illegal in different U.S. states. All of this makes people wonder if magic mushrooms are similar to cannabis! Well, that’s what we are going to discuss in this article.
Magic Mushrooms and Cannabis: What’s the Difference?
Magic mushrooms ( also referred to as shrooms or just mushrooms) are a type of mushroom that contains the chemical compound psilocybin. While there are several types of mushrooms, mushrooms that have psilocybin are the most popular. People also call it by the names of hallucinogenic mushrooms, shrooms, and psychedelic mushrooms.
Magic mushrooms are gilled mushrooms that are found in meadows and woods and are grown in soils rich in plant debris and humus. The main naturally occurring plant compounds found in psilocybin are psilocybin, psilocin, baeocystin, and nor baeocystin. Shrooms are available in different forms, including edibles and beverages. One can get some good recommendations here https://lowpricebud.co/product-category/mushrooms/.
Speaking of cannabis, it is a complex plant with hundreds of chemical compounds, CBD (cannabidiol) and THC (Tetrahydrocannabinol) being the two most prevalent ones. CBD is known for its therapeutic effects, while THC is consumed for its psychoactive properties. Cannabis products containing less than 0.3% THC are even legal in different American states. People use the products for a range of medical benefits, including body relaxation, mental health disorders, and even cancer.
Magic Mushrooms and Cannabis: Similarities & Dissimilarities
- Both magic mushrooms and cannabis have the potential for treating a wide range of medical conditions, including:
- Substance addiction
- PTSD or post-traumatic stress disorder
- Boost Energy
- The major dissimilarity between shrooms and cannabis is their origin. While both are naturally occurring substances, cannabis belongs to the plant kingdom, while psilocybin mushrooms belong to the fungi kingdom. Moreover, cannabis works by influencing the endocannabinoid receptors, while psilocybin is metabolized into psilocin by the liver, which further influences the serotonin receptors in the brain.
- Both psilocybin and cannabis produce different classes of compounds.
- Both psilocybin and cannabis create an entourage effect that is unique to each other.
The relationship between magic mushrooms and marijuana is not well-studied. Though the combination of using marijuana and mushrooms together is also popular among users, its effects are not backed by scientific evidence and are not well researched. Both share a few similar properties but are quite different from each other. So, do not consume magic mushrooms with the expectations of the same results you get from cannabis products.
Perform a thorough research on both the compounds, read online reviews, talk to your cannabis friends, and then decide whether you want to take the substance or not. Plus, the illegal aspect of both the compounds is worth considering.
Latest posts by Martin B. (see all)
- Introduction to THCp: Unlocking the Power of Nature’s Strongest Cannabinoid - January 23, 2023
- Help for Those Struggling Financially, Physically, and Emotionally Because of Addiction - January 17, 2023
- The benefits of CBD gummies for anxiety and stress relief - January 13, 2023