Is smoking e-cigs better than cigarettes?
In recent years, the use of e-cigarettes has greatly increased. Many smokers choose vaping as an alternative to reduce smoking and the negative effects on their health. Are e-cigarettes less dangerous to health than cigarettes? Both have side effects but in the following text, you will learn more about their differences and which one is the least harmful to the health of the person.
What is an electronic cigarette?
At first, an e-cigarette is a device that has a rechargeable lithium battery, an exhaust chamber and a cartridge of liquid chemicals. It was invented recently in China. It was in 2003 when Chinese pharmacist Hon Lik patented this device. A year later he introduced it to the Chinese market. After two years, in 2006 e-cigarettes were released in the United States of America for the first time.
What are the types of Electronic Cig- AltereGo
Today, there are many different types of electronic cigarettes on the market both abroad and in Greece (Alter eGo – Electronic Cigarette). Some of them are the following:
- Disposable e-cigarette: More commonly known as the “mini”, it is about the same size as a cigarette. It hasn’t rechargeable battery and is pre-filled with a liquid equal to 40 cigarettes
- Rechargeable (cigarlike): The package of this device contains a USB cable to charge the battery. They are also small in size.
- Vape Pod: It is a newer and more popular device. Its function is similar to that of cigar like but it is a little bigger than that. The package contains the e-liquid, the battery and the USB cable to charge the device.
- Vape Mod: In the market, it comes in various sizes and shapes and is quite a large device.
How e-cigarettes work
The first important difference between e-cigarettes and cigarettes is in their function. In e-cigarettes, the battery is connected to the exhaust chamber which is a hollow tube and the user, just before switching on the cigarette, places the cartridge in this exhaust chamber. Then, the person breathes in, the cartridge is heated and the e-liquid in the e-cigarette turns to vapor.
In opposite, a cigarette consisting of pieces of processed tobacco and other chemicals is burned and the user breathes in the smoke produced.
The chemicals of e-cigarettes
The use of e-cigarettes is less harmful to people’s health because they contain fewer chemicals than cigarettes. In particular, they most often contain propylene glycol, nicotine, vegetable glycerin, VOCs and various aromatic chemicals. If the liquid in the electrical appliance is overheated, then will probably develop a cancerous chemical called formaldehyde.
The chemicals in cigarettes that harm smokers’ health
But there are almost 7000 chemicals in cigarette smoke. Most of them harm smokers’ bodies. Some of them are:
- Aniline, which is a key ingredient in paints,
- Acetone, also found in acetone,
- Sulfuric acid,
- Gomolac, is one of the basic ingredients of wood polishes,
- Carbon monoxide,
- Radon etc.
Health effects of cigarettes
The thousands of substances that a person breathes in from cigarette vapor cause numerous health problems, such as:
- Cancer of the mouth, throat, lung, kidney, stomach, cervix,
- chronic obstructive pulmonary disease,
- The chances of developing heart disease or stroke are increased,
- Problems in fertility,
- Problems with teeth and gums etc.
The advantages of electronic cigarettes
On the opposite, e-cigarettes are less harmful to the health of users. With passive vaping, people around the user are not at much risk, as is the case with passive smoking. According to PHE (Public Health England), vaping is 95% less harmful than smoking. Some people have been able to quit smoking with vaping.
Although it contains nicotine, like cigarettes, e-cigarettes allow you to choose the amount of nicotine you put in it, unlike cigarettes. Furthermore, with the use of e-cigarettes, you will not have to worry about smoke smells on clothes and various objects because they are almost odorless and eco-friendly.
The disadvantages of vapor
Vapor has negative effects on the body of users. Nicotine is a very addictive chemical and should not be used by teenagers and children because it damages their brains. In addition, it is likely to damage users’ lungs and weaken their immune system. Sometimes, defective e-cigarettes can cause an explosion and fire and danger to the people using them.
In summary, if you are already a smoker, e-cigarettes are a good and safer choice for your health. If you don’t smoke, however, you don’t need to start smoking.
Latest posts by Martin B. (see all)
- Introduction to THCp: Unlocking the Power of Nature’s Strongest Cannabinoid - January 23, 2023
- Help for Those Struggling Financially, Physically, and Emotionally Because of Addiction - January 17, 2023
- The benefits of CBD gummies for anxiety and stress relief - January 13, 2023